A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android
LightShields is a space-themed 2-player shooter for the Nintendo Entertainment System, submitted to the 2017 NesDev Coding Competition. Each player controls one spaceship and one light shield. Use your shield to deflect your opponent’s bullets back at them, but don’t let your own shield get in the way of your shot!
Special thanks to Pitfall for the title music, and Stephen Hutchins for help with the art and animation!
Controls (2-player only, requires 2 controllers!):
- A: Fire a bullet
- B: Hold your shield stationary
- D-pad: Move your ship
- Start: Begin the game or respawn
- Select: Choose a menu option
Tips & Tricks:
- Shield mode gives both players their own shield to control, while Open mode has a single shield that neither player control.
- You can only fire one bullet at a time, so aim carefully.
- Your shield will follow your ship slowly. Using the B button to hold it still will let you peek around it for a quicker shot.
- When you shoot a shield, it will disintegrate for one second, letting you temporarily shoot through it without bouncing.
Download and extract the provided zip file. Inside you will find LightShields.nes, a NES ROM file that can be played on all major NES emulators, as well as on real NES hardware!
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.